Wednesday, April 27, 2011

White Shoes



Our first family visitors arrived this past Saturday. My native Floridian parents (who wear spotless white tennis shoes) arrived to Colorado to find clouds and rain and absolutely NO visible mountains. Pike's Peak is just minutes from the airport in Colorado Springs-- a 14,000 foot mountain-- and we they could not see it at all. The winds were howling, and they were both shivering as we headed to the car.


Next came the snow. It snowed enough to cover the ground while we ate a Chic-Fil-A sandwich. They were a little alarmed. It is the end of April. They graciously agreed to come earlier than they had planned to stay with me and the kids while Harland is out of town on business. (I feel sure we would have been fine by ourselves, but what a relief to have them here!)


We drove home and saw ZERO mountains all the way home. My dad kept saying, "This looks just like Texas." I was hoping for some sunshine on Sunday.


Sunday came and was cloudy and cold outside, but I woke up burning up-- with fever. Easter morning was truly weird and not at all as I had envisioned it. I had strep and was out of commission all day Sunday. Harland took me to the doctor and the kids had PJ day with Nana and Papaw. There were still no mountains in sight.


Monday Harland left for Texas. We took kids to school and saw a few peeks of sunshine and a glimpse or two of the mountains. My dad asked me if we ever have hail here. I told him I didn't know, but I didn't think so. Only moments later, our car was being pelted with hail-- unbelievable. I guess that was the answer to his question! Next the ice started, then we had thunder and lightning.


The mountains appeared on Tuesday for a few hours. YAY!! They got to see a little of the scenery in a beautiful sunrise. We saw some deer, antelope, hawks, and wild turkeys. I took them to the big city of Pueblo and to my favorite new store-- The Big R. It is a farm and garden and western wear store where you can find everything from real baby chicks and turkeys to boots and hats and guns and horse supplies. We came out to find.... more hail. (We had a total of three episodes of hail in less than 24 hours-- haha)


Today we ate an amazing breakfast at the local diner, got an ICEE to-go from the Diamond Shamrock, drove up San Isabel mountain, and walked around the lake. Dad scoured the edge of the lake looking for arrowheads. It was breathtakingly beautiful and breathtakingly cold. The whole place looked like a postcard.


I think my folks have been pleasantly surprised with our living conditions--- I think their minds are a little more at ease.


I am hopeful for more sunshine. I am hopeful for more beautiful spots for my folks to see and enjoy. I am REALLY hopeful for a continued run of no mice in our house.


While Harland is away I am the designated mouse killer. I have my needed equipment handy-- a pair of gloves, a long handled pair of pliers, and the hoe. I feel confident I could snap a neck if I had to, but I would rather not have to experience it this week. It has been five days since our last mouse catch. I am hopeful for at least three more days.


The company has been wonderful for the kids and especially for me. I love showing them my day to day loony life, and I love seeing those white tennis shoes lined up beside our row of dusty and muddy boots.



Exodus 9:19 "Give an order now to bring your livestock and everything you have in the field to a place of shelter, because the hail will fall on every man and animal that has not been brought in.."

No comments:

Post a Comment