Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Do you have all the equipment you need to do your job?



When I worked at the hospital in Fort Worth, my coworkers and I would be asked routinely by management if we had all the tools we needed to do our job. My equipment included stethoscopes, scales, oxygen, suction, needles, medications, isolettes, cribs, blankets, feeding tubes, etc. My job has changed and so has the necessary equipment.


Today I received a new tool for my new job--- a John Deere riding lawnmower. I have never operated a mower of any kind-- not even a push mower.


A dear older woman that I knew in Fort Worth loves to mow. Every time I would see Mrs. Allene on her riding mower she would be glowing. I saw her not long ago, and I told her that I would be learning to mow on a riding mower after we moved. She said that it was the time that she thinks the clearest and can really talk to God from her heart. She described her opportunity to do the yard as a precious gift.


It has been a bit of a tough week thinking through my new identity. I am not working as a nurse right now. I don't have that as a part of my picture of who I am. I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a daughter. I am a friend. Who I am has not changed because of my job.


I am counting it a "precious gift" to be able to be home with my family for this season and to be able to ride that new John Deere. I am looking forward to the clear thinking as I mow. I am so thankful for Mrs. Allene and her wonderful perspective on a mundane job like mowing.


Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment