Thursday, April 14, 2011

I'm in the club.


I spent almost an hour this afternoon scraping one more remnant of our Texan existence off of our vehicles. The registration sticker and inspection sticker that were literally baked onto the inside of our front windows took a straight-edge, goo-gone, Windex, a half of a roll of paper towels, and some muscle to remove. I took off the Baylor employee stickers and our Southwestern campus stickers. Our vehicles were naked. They were void of all identifiers for a moment. Then we put on our Colorado plates, and voila!-- we are Coloradan.



I drove to pick up the kids with my new shiny Colorado plates and came to a realization. I have been giving oncoming drivers a quick wave since we got here. Only about 1/3 of the drivers waved back....until today. Now that I am an official "insider", EVERY single driver I saw initiated the wave. I am in the club.


It was a long afternoon of getting our cars inspected by the sheriff (yes..the sheriff) to verify our VIN numbers and check our records. Next we had to go to the courthouse to get our cars registered and get those beautiful green and white tags. The courthouse was complete with a metal detector manned by a guard--- I beeped as I went through three times. I took off metal each time like my watch and jacket. The third time, the officer said,"Do your boots have metal on them?" I told him yes there is a buckle on the side, and I started to take them off. He stopped me and said I didn't need to take them off. We were free to go in. If I ever need to smuggle in a weapon, I will remember to put it in my boot-- haha.


This afternoon I took a spin around the yard on my John Deere. I hauled rocks, lawn clippings, and trash with the trailer I pulled behind the mower. It was really nice. The dirt was nice. The rocks were beautiful- pink, white, and silver. The work in the yard was nice. I think I really AM in the club.


Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."





2 comments:

  1. The wave can be simplified. Keep your hand on the top of the steering wheel and just lift a couple fingers. That's all it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle from New Hampshire just told us that there is a new state law saying you can carry a gun into the capital building but it must be concealed if you carry it into the viewing balcony of the senate!

    ReplyDelete