Sunday, April 10, 2011

One Month in the Valley




It has been four long weeks today since we pulled in the driveway of our new home with all of earthly possessions. What has changed in this month?Check Spelling


* We are now eating at home almost every meal of every day. We LOVED to eat out when we lived in Fort Worth. We have a couple of small diners and a Subway in the small town by us, otherwise all the restaurants and fast food joints are about 40 minutes away. Our desire to eat out is not strong enough to make us want to travel 40 minutes. We are enjoying eating at home, and I am cooking and loving it--- the clean up is what I don't love. Cleaning up with clean water, however, is not so bad.


* When we do eat out we bring home leftovers- all the leftovers-- and we eat them. Side note-- we have lost a combination of almost 30 pounds in this first month just from eating at home---not too shabby.


* I only flush when necessary and make the others in the house do the same. I used to ask the kids if they flushed and send them back in if they didn't. Now I tell them not to flush unless absolutely necessary.


* I time showers- literally.


* I really only wear jeans and boots.


* I have been wearing my hair in a ponytail or bun all the time, and I only wash it every 2-3 days. This was unheard of in the city. I showered and washed my hair at least daily. Humidity is low here thankfully, and the wind is so strong that tied up long hair is the only way to go.


* Speaking of low humidity, my skin had become almost lizard-like. I have to slather on lotion at least twice a day to try to keep my skin from cracking.


* I check my shoes before putting my feet in them.


* I wake up with the sun at 6am without an alarm.


* I prefer driving on the dirt and gravel roads to the paved ones.


* We end our days (most days) with some time on the back porch watching the sunset over the mountains.


* I look at the stars from our bedroom window.


* I am disappointed if I don't see at least some sort of wildlife each day.


All changes are difficult in life. The new things we are facing here are individually nothing exciting. It is the combination of the changes that has brought me to my knees. I have hated some of the challenges and am loving some of the benefits at the same time. I have had many anxious moments and also many of the most peaceful moments.


Our changes and adjustments are far from over, but I am loving the adventure. The changes I am seeing in myself and my family are life-altering, and my prayer is that it is for the better. Most of the things we are doing we could've done in Fort Worth, but we didn't. It took a radical change to shake us up. I am thankful for the change-- greasy hair in a bun, dry cracked skin, mice, bad water, and all.


James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie! I am really enjoying all of your blog posts. I would enjoy that kind of life I think...:) Anyway, I've been reading this book called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voscamp and it reminds me of your blog...so you should read it sometime. I think you'd love it.
    Jen Leeds

    ReplyDelete