Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Up a Tree



At 5ish this morning our new dog, Ranger, began barking and barking. I looked out to see if I saw anything, and I didn't. He stopped shortly, and I slept a few more minutes.



I walked out to feed Ranger at about 6:15 and saw a giant brown ball in a tree close to the backyard. I thought it was a cat at first, but realized quickly it was no cat. I got my binoculars and called for the rest of the crew to come check it out with me. All the while, my sweet little watchdog looked at me as if to say, "Duh. That is what I was barking at!"




It was a big porcupine. We went on with our morning routine, and Harland called one of the men we met here (who goes by the nickname "Grizz") who has a little side business of animal removal.


He stopped by to see us and check out the critter. He said they travel this time of the year from the plains to our east to the mountains to our west, and he was just passing through. He said he is scared of the dog and would like to get down and head for the hills, literally. He is clinging to the branches in a way that his face is turned toward the mountain. Grizz said he is longing to be headed that direction.


We had to take Ranger to the vet this afternoon (a story for tomorrow), so we were hoping while we had him out the porcupine would take the opportunity and get out of the tree. Grizz seemed to think he would. If only he could see the fence around the dog. If he came down from the tree, Ranger would certainly bark, but he couldn't get to him. Grizz said to give it a chance then shoot it if it doesn't come down.


Often we are kind of like that porcupine--trying to get from point a to point b and being scared up a tree by a perceived threat, longing for our destination but too scared to get out of the tree. We are just holding on for dear life, trying not to move or draw attention to ourselves. I would venture a guess we have all felt "treed" and frozen at different times in our lives.


May we get out of the tree and run like the wind to the mountains. I kind of feel like in a weird way that is what I am learning to do day by day out here in the land of new and sometimes frightening things.


Here's where this beautiful analogy breaks down: the critter did NOT come down today even with us removing Ranger for about 3 hours. Tonight, just before dusk, the porcupine was eliminated. Harland shot him and put an end to his day of fear and misery. In the midst of the chaos a very small country girl was born. Isabel watched the shooting from inside and became Daddy's helper for the burial. She drove the tractor with Harland out into the field and even helped him dig a hole to bury him in. She had a ball.


As I was saying... we are learning day by day about new and frightening things. Today was no exception.






Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment