Monday, March 28, 2011

Waste not, want not.


I was more than a little nervous for all three kids starting at new schools today, but I must say that my sixth grader was my main concern. Middle school has to be one of the strangest places to be even when you are familiar with the school and the people in it. Entering in March cold turkey is a tough thing for anybody to do.


I picked up the younger two at the elementary school first and then we headed to PJ Craver Middle School to get Ben. They almost talked my ears off on the way. The two socialites had made friends and thoroughly enjoyed their day. Isabel even lined out one of the girls in her class who said she would have to play with her all the time if she wanted to be her friend. Isabel told her that friendship doesn't work that way and that she wants to have lots of friends--nice one.


I waited anxiously for Ben to come out. He was acting all cool with the hood of his jacket over his head and most of his face. Then, I saw it. There was a huge smile on that face and the tears started welling up in this crazy momma's eyes. He said,"I have one thing to say about today...this school is awesome!". I felt like the elephant leaped off of my chest, and I could breathe again. He began telling me of people he had met, classes he had gone to, and favorite things he got to do. It was a great ride home listening to stories of the day.


He told me that at lunch he had some trash to throw away which included some of his food. Someone stopped him and told him to put his food in the pig bowl. Yep---the pig bowl. Someone who works at the school has pigs and gathers up the scraps and takes them home to slop the hogs. Ben was trying to get the tale out without laughing but failed. He said,"Where are we living that they have a pig bowl in the cafeteria?" Reduce, reuse, recycle, I suppose.


Psalm 66:1-3a "Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of his name, make his praise glorious! Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds!"


4 comments:

  1. So happy that your sweet children are adjusting well. That Isabel is a smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sweet story. So glad your kids are adjusting well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief that your kids love their new school. I especially love Isabels intelligent answer about friendship & The Pig Bowl! Wasting food is one of the things I hate. I'm glad this school found a creative way of recycling. Happy pigs & no waste.....love it!!

    ReplyDelete