Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Comes in like a lion...


March is a windy month everywhere. On the interstate close to our house, there is a sign that reads that one should use caution because strong gusty winds are likely for a four mile stretch. It is a true sign. Wind gusts yesterday in the big town 30 miles away were to be 40 mph. In our four mile wind corridor, I would estimate 60mph winds.


I went to the laundromat in our little town yesterday afternoon. I opened the back of my Sequoia to get out my HUGE amount of clothes to wash. I bet you can guess where I am going with this. Yes, as soon as I opened the back hatch there came a wind gust that almost knocked me over and enabled a portion of my clothes to take flight- underwear to be exact. Harland's BVDs were flying through the parking lot, and I began the chase. Let us all hope that the strip mall does not have security cameras. If they do, someone got a chuckle. It was like chasing a piece of paper in Texas wind. As soon as you get close to it, it takes off again. I eventually gathered all of the pieces and glanced around to see if anyone was watching the show. I didn't see anyone, so I secured the clothes as best I could and lugged the seven loads into the laundromat.


I had bought a bottle of coke at the market when I got change for the laundromat. In the wind and in the harried carrying of the baskets and bags, I must have jostled that coke. When I sat down in the chair after starting my seven washing machines, I wanted to open my coke and have a drink while I read my book. Again, let us hope that there were no security cameras because it sprayed all over me, the chair, and the floor. I went to the restroom to get some paper towels to clean my mess quickly, and they had something I had not seen in a long time. There was one of those truck-stop towel rolls that has the big blue attached towel that just rotates back through--- no help. So I took the last little bit of TP and went to clean up my mess.


I settled myself down, and enjoyed calling my mom to lament and then reading my book on simplicity. It was simply a crazy start to a peaceful two hours of laundry. The view from the chair where I sat was the mountains. It is hard to stay frazzled with a fizzy coke, a good book, and a view of the mountains. The wind is gone today, but is scheduled to return tomorrow. We have been told that the wind will blow as long as there is snow on the mountains. I think we have a lot more wind to come.


John 3:8 "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."


2 comments:

  1. I just got caught up today! I am LOVING your adventures and bits of country wisdom! I curled my feet up under me in the chair when reading about your mice. Keep 'em coming! (and FB me your address when you get a sec - maybe I can add some excitement to your long walk to the mailbox)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angie, this is too funny. I can just picture you chasing after your personals flying in the wind. I'm glad you had a peaceful 2 hours after your rough start. You definitely deserved it!!

    ReplyDelete