Sunday, March 27, 2011

They are out.


Harland and Isabel went outside yesterday afternoon to go visit our lone cow in the back 40. Their plan was to take a big tub of stinky sulfur water out for her in case she was thirsty. Instead, Isabel ran back into the house announcing that there were two huge dogs outside--- with their owner. One of our "neighbor" cattlemen stopped in to meet us. He doesn't own the lone cow, but he said she would be fine. He said that cows are really smart, and she can hop the fence to get back to water anytime she wants, but if she couldn't, she would pace the fence line in a way we would notice if she needed water. Harland opted not to tell him that the city boy was on his way out with a garbage can of water for her.


The word for the day was snakes. He was warning us of snakes. Of all the things I fear, snakes have to rank toward the top. I cannot even stand seeing pictures of snakes. We have been cautious but also have had a level of security in the idea that the snakes are not out in the cold weather. Well... the cattleman wanted to let us know that his hired man killed a rattlesnake on his main ranch two days ago. They are out.


We have been told that our land has been rattler free for a few years, but rich in bull snakes which are a good snake to have around. I DO NOT THINK ANY SNAKE IS GOOD TO HAVE AROUND!!! They look very much alike, and I will not be taking the time to decide if it is a good or bad snake-- I will be eliminating all that I come across. I have my shovel ready, and I have been teaching the kids to look before they step. I even outfitted my flip-flop loving kids in tall leather boots just in case of a misstep.


Fear of mice-- not so much. Fear of very dark nights- nope. Fear of wildfires- yep, a little. Fear of bears- yep, but probably won't see one out on the prairie with no trees. Fear of snakes- yep. Fear of missing out on the beauty of being in the country because of being paralyzed with fear- yep. We have walked through a few adventures already in these 2 weeks, and I know we have many more to come. I am armed with my boots, my shovel, and my snake bite kit. Let's hope I don't see any. The cattleman recommended we get some cats and not be attached to them. We will be getting cats soon-- hopefully this week.


The picture above is the back of a tshirt a friend of ours gave us the day we moved in. I wore it to town the other day and had someone tell me,"It's not really so much the bears you should worry about. It is the mountain lions." AAHHHH!


Psalm 56:3"When I am afraid, I will trust in you."



2 comments:

  1. If it's not the bears, it's the snakes, if it's not the snakes, it's the mountain lions lol! I hope you & your family stay safe & scary, wild-animal free. The boots are the best idea!

    Absolutely loving your blog - keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could tame one of those bull snakes as a house pet, to take care of the mice. Lol

    ReplyDelete