Friday, March 18, 2011

New Boots Can Be Uncomfortable





New shoes can be uncomfortable no matter how beautiful. Some shoes just have to be broken in. My husband and I are breaking in our new boots both literally and figuratively. We left city life last week and moved to a little house on 78 acres in rural Colorado.



My hope is that I can write about some of the challenges we face and the sheer craziness we walk through. I feel sure it will be therapeutic to write and to be able to step back and get a good laugh at my own expense. I look forward to breaking in these boots as I adjust to a new life.




We drove out of town last week, and I saw in my rearview mirror a huge traffic jam in North Fort Worth and everything I had known and been comfortable with for the last seven and a half years. I was in the suv with one child and my husband was in the biggest Penske moving truck towing his car behind with the other two kids. I had so many picturesque ideas of what arriving at the house would be like the next afternoon. Needless to say...




Well... did I mention that things are sometimes uncomfortable? After we moved the furniture and boxes in (with the help of wonderful friends who basically moved us in), we went to one of the three diners in the little town. I ordered a grilled cheese, and it was literally two pieces of toast with three slices of American cheese inside- unmelted. It was no big deal. They served only Pepsi products. That was no big deal. We drove back to the house- no heat. Now, that was a big deal. Come to find out our propane tank was empty. We dug out a space heater from one of the 7000 boxes and set up the older two in one room with mattresses on the floor and the heater. We climbed into our bed with the youngest and five blankets and hoped for the best.




The first night was cold, and if only I could have found the coffee pot, filters, and coffee. Maybe I would find them the next day. I was just thankful I had other warm bodies to keep me warm. I was also thankful for a good night's sleep blissfully unaware of the little rodents likely watching us and coming close to us as we slept. Yuck. But.. that realization would come the next day.








Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had help moving in! Stay warm and hope you have electricity by now!

    ReplyDelete