Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rocks



There are some things in life that are easily noticed. There are other things that are seemingly not worth a second glance. In nature I am continually finding new things and overlooking things.


There are rocks everywhere here. Our gravel road is made of small rocks of every color. There are rocks in our fields that are as small as a dime and some as big as a basketball. We have placed two big ones on top of our dumpster lid to keep the winds from blowing it open. They range in color from grays and whites to shades of pink with sparkles. We have been collecting some of the big ones out of the yard mainly to clear the grass and dirt for my mowing adventures. We have put them on the porch and now have a pile of beautiful rocks. My plan is to use them one of these years if and when I plant the flower bed I have in my mind.


When my parents were here and we drove up the mountain, they noticed the signs to watch out for falling rock. We saw several small rocks on the road and were all extremely thankful that the big ones remained on the side of the cliff. We drove to the Royal Gorge one day and found that in that area only about 1 1/2 hours from our house there were rocks everywhere that were sparkling like diamonds and when the sun hit them they looked like silver. We found ourselves mesmerized with not only the GIGANTIC rocks and gorge but also with the small shimmery ones we were walking by and on.


I took a walk last night with a friend who is a rock hound. We walked and talked and then out the blue she would jump down in the ditch or run up a hill to look at a rock. She showed me these big ugly rocks that looked like mud balls. They are called something long that I can't remember, but an unofficial name is a node. They were nothing exciting to look at-- to me. She, however, knew what was inside. She found one that had opened when it fell from the cliff and inside was clusters of crystal-looking formations.


These treasures just camouflaged in with the dry dirt, and I would have easily walked on by and never noticed them. I think people are much the same-- some are flashy and demand admiration on first sight but others have layers of "dirt" but when they are broken through hardship or trials their true beautiful identity is seen.


My rock hound friend said, "Isn't that just like God that he put something so beautiful inside something so ugly?" She was looking at the rocks, but we were both thinking of our own selves.


Psalm 40:2-3 "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment