Friday, May 20, 2011

Fish and Fun




Yesterday Ben had his first of two field trips before the school year is out. This one was to the lake. It is only about two minutes from the middle school. The Colorado Game and Wildlife folks met them at the lake and provided each kid with a fishing pole and bait. They taught the sixty sixth graders how to cast the line and then walked around the lake helping them as the day went on. The kids were there from 9am - 2pm. It certainly beats a day in the classroom.



The weather was beautiful but very windy. It was about 58 degrees-- pretty chilly. Ben did not catch any fish, but he was not too heartbroken about it. He was not looking forward to getting the fish off of the hook and had already made a plan in case that happened. There were some boys around him who are seasoned fishermen, so he had strategically placed himself by them in case something got on his hook.



He told me that a little girl in his class caught one, got it off her hook, and gutted it right there by the lake. This was obviously not her first fish. Ben was thoroughly grossed out. I guess she had come with a pocket knife in her from-home fishing gear. At least she didn't start a fire and cook it right up for lunch.



It was a long day in the sun and wind so Ben was exhausted at the end of the day, but what a cool field trip. Next week, the honors kids with a 3.5 GPA or higher are headed to the Great Sand Dunes national park for the day. This is a far cry from the Ft Worth Zoo and science museum every year.



We have only four more days of school. The summer break will be here a week from today. I wonder if they can sleep past 6:30. I wonder when it will be warm enough to not have a jacket. I wonder when there will be no more snow on the mountains and if that is really when the wind stops. I wonder how long it will be before we see our first bear. I wonder what kind of amazing adventures we will be a part of. It should be fun.



Monday, sweet Monday, is my last day at home by myself. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are filled with field trips, field day, and award ceremonies. If you are looking for me on Monday I will be at home doing as close to nothing as I can. I will likely have a cup of coffee in hand and be enjoying the quiet.


Matthew 4:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

2 comments: