Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Beautiful Sight




There are many things here in Southern Colorado that I would describe as beautiful. This morning after the kids and I got the sticks picked up out of the yard so I could mow, I saw what was one of the most beautiful sights I have seen here. There was a black Tahoe driving into my driveway. It wasn't a work truck or delivery man or someone just turning around. I quickly took my redneck lawn-mowing bandanna from around my neck before the vehicle made it down the long driveway.


The black Tahoe held Heidi (a sweet gal I met at church) and her two kids. She came over to see if we wanted to join them for a picnic at the creek by the mountain park. We quickly changed clothes and got ourselves together. She even had lunches already made for all of us.


It was a great day of splashing in the ice cold creek, having a picnic on a rock picnic table, and playing in the park looking at the mountains. The best part of the day, however, was talking to what I believe to be a new real friend.


I think that that might sound pretty pathetic, but it is true. Moving and leaving everyone you know is hard. It is lonely knowing that there's no one here (besides my husband and kids) who knows me. They don't know my strengths or my weaknesses. They don't know what I like and what I dislike. I have to try to put my best foot forward at all times as I hope to be building relationships, and it is exhausting. Today was NOT exhausting at all, but refreshing. I was able to be myself and the conversation was easy.


I don't know if my new friend knows what a welcome sight she was, but I know how much it meant to me that she came over unannounced and took the risk. I plan to remember that for when I am no longer new. I would like to be the car in the driveway for someone else one day. For now, however, I end my day very thankful.


Philippians 4:19 "My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an encouraging story. You were such an encouragement to me when we moved to TX. I only wish we had had more time to get to know each other. I'm glad to see someone has stepped forward for you too.

    God's creation is beautiful and His hand in our lives is often invisible yet undeniable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divine appointments are the best kind!

    ReplyDelete