Thursday, May 26, 2011

Last days of school







The morning began with finding two mice in our sticky traps. After the executions, the kids woke up for their last day of school. My first words after "Good morning, babies," was "you are all staying at school all day today-- don't even ask to come home early." This last week of school has been parentally exhausting.


I will be headed to the elementary school in a few minutes for the awards assemblies for Isabel and Nathanael. Yesterday was field day, and Tuesday was two field trips (one of which I attended and one just involved getting a 6th grade boy ready for an all day trip to the Great Sand Dunes).


I made homemade granola for teachers yesterday and spent a couple of hours after field day making up the gifts. I forced my two little compadres to come help me write the thank you card portion of the gifts. They slopped some chicken scratch on the cards and took off to play. I snapped. I called them back and made them redo every one of them. I launched into some sort of mom-lecture about how hard I had worked on those gifts and the least they could do was write neatly and spell correctly! Let's not give the principal a card with "really" misspelled-- or the second grade teacher a card with "teacher" misspelled! I was perturbed but amazingly they were unphased. They rewrote the cards, and I took a deep cleansing breath and dismissed them to play.


I went out to feed our puppy after the gifts were finished and found that he has been eating the house. The adobe around the back door has become his chewing spot as he is losing those baby teeth and getting his big boy teeth. We tried to smooth off where he had chewed and hopefully he will stop. If not, I may come around the corner and find his head stuck through the wall into the laundry room. I was even more irritated.


Ben and Harland were the only two not in the doghouse. Then Ben hands me the phone and says, "This is Matt's mom." Who is Matt? Who is his mom? Why am I talking to her? They had cooked up a plan for Matt to come over to our house after school today, so I was meeting his mom on the phone and explaining who we are and where we live and making a plan for a play date for our 6th graders. She was wonderfully nice, and it was no big deal, but I never appreciate being handed a phone out of the blue.


I decided to fix grilled cheese sandwiches, get a hot shower, and put people to bed early-- including myself. My to-do list for my last day of the school year is long and my time will be short following the assemblies.


I drove them to school for the last 7:10 am drive for a while. I was watching some hawks and totally forgot I was driving a stick shift this morning. I pulled up to the stop sign and left it in fourth gear. I was thankful to be in the country because only the cows and those hawks saw me stall Harland's car. I am enjoying a cup of coffee on my couch right now and will be heading to the school soon. I bet those kids ask me to bring them on home. My answer has to be no for my own sanity. I am hopeful that I will relax once these end of the year mom duties are completed---I need to take another deep breath and look out my window at the mountains. AHHH.


Psalm 90:1-2 "Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God."














No comments:

Post a Comment