Friday, May 13, 2011

Random Oddities




Since I last wrote, we have had more than our fair share of odd happenings--- well, maybe odd is not the right word. Perhaps this falls under the recurring category of "things I never thought we would be doing." The last time I wrote about the snake I missed with the car. The next day we saw a GIANT snake in the road, and I swerved over and ran that sucker over with all four tires. It was right in front of the neighbor's house (about a mile or so down the road), so I hope they are not snake lovers who watched the crazy mother in the silver Sequoia mow down a snake.

There were no snakes out the next two days because it was freezing. We had sleet one day with highs in the low 40s. Today, however, was sunny and beautiful at around 75 degrees. On one of the cold days, I went to town for the day and did something that I have never done before--- I got my hair cut at WalMart in the salon. I got tired of waiting to figure out where to go and then make an appointment. I was already at WalMart for dog food and a few groceries, so I thought, "Why not? ". I emerged with about 6 inches less of hair and a satisfied feeling of starting over-- free of the dried long tired curls that have been pulled up or back for over two months now.

Our pushy puppy has days when we think he is settling in and settling down and then there is the rest of the time. He is "mouthy and pushy" according to the shelter. I agree wholeheartedly. He is also a giant. I am hoping he is a gentle giant. Right now he is a giant with tooth issues. He is having trouble chewing as he is losing baby teeth and getting big teeth- except for chewing on us. We tried out the training collar this afternoon for a walk and he hated it, but the walk was maybe 50% better than usual. We continue to have to wrestle him to the ground with a yelp and a growl. He relaxes and seems to give in for a little bit. We are trying to be consistent like we try to do with our kids, but kids seem easier at this moment. The boys had a new job this week that they did not appreciate, however, regarding the puppy. They became the pooper scoopers. Harland made each of them poop collectors out of old milk jugs that he cut the top off of. I suited them up with yellow playtex gloves and sent them to work. Nathanael requested a clothespin for his nose but unfortunately it broke after only a couple of minutes. He resorted to having to take a breather every now and then in the other part of the backyard before returning to the task. They did a great job, and it was pretty amusing to watch.

Tonight we went to a cookout at our new friends' house in the small town close to us. As the men were outside grilling the burgers and dogs, two of the neighbors stopped by the house in their trucks to alert us that they had just seen a bear around the corner. They were telling the boys to get the grill in before the bear smelled the meat cooking and came on up to get it. Harland and I had our eyes peeled waiting to see the bear, but we never did. Our host was trying to go on with the cooking and act like he wasn't alarmed, but he was looking as hard as we were and was cooking as fast as he could. No bears for us today, but I am sure it is coming soon.

On Saturday morning my friend Heidi is coming over to teach me how to plant a flower bed here in this soil. We will be shoveling horse and cow manure and mixing it in with the dirt. She is bringing some of her flowers and herbs from her flower beds. I really hope I don't kill everything. Maybe this time will be something I have never done before-- keep plants and flowers alive.




Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment