Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Little Six Month Update



Life in the country six months after moving:


I went to "town" yesterday to do some errands, and I had a car full of people in the Target parking lot ask me where I had been mudding because they were jealous of the mud on my vehicle. I was able to say that I had indeed not been mudding but just driving on the dirt and gravel roads to and from my house.


On Friday, I had a gal at work (who also lives in my area) ask me if my kids were at home. I replied that they were, and she told me I might want to text my husband and have him bring the kids inside for the day. The Department of Wildlife was on a bear hunt that morning to rid the area of some "bad bears". They were out to kill ten to fifteen bears who had become too at ease around people and their homes and trash. The warning had gone out for children to be inside in case a bear was injured but not killed and escaped the hunters. I let Harland know about the happenings, but was thankful that we live a little ways away from the high bear activity zone.


Our mouse issues have settled down in the past month or two. I am guessing that it is just warm weather (and lots of snakes-haha). We had an unexpected encounter this past week, however. We finally bought a wood burning stove for the house, and Harland moved it into the house and proceeded to remove the crate packaging that was around the approximately 300 pound beast. What was inside the crate?--- of course-- mice--- several mice and a nest to boot. These mice were not country mice. They had ridden in the crate from the city and were unable to think on their feet and escape. They moved very slowly, and we decided to use them to help teach our kittens about mice. We were able to catch two of them with a pair of pliers and throw them outside to the cats and one other was unfortunate enough to get under Harland's boot and meet its doom.


As the weather is getting cooler, we are so glad to report that it has been almost a month since we have seen a rattler on our property. We are seeing tons of deer and antelope, and we have had two bull elks on our road. I have seen two roadrunners and still hear multiple coyotes daily. The dogs bark almost all night at all of the critters they see or think they see in the yard and field. They bark so much at night that they have virtually no voice in the daytime as they rest up for another round. It is a good thing we live with absolutely NO neighbors.


Speaking of our wacky dogs, Honey is now just turning one (approximately since she is a shelter dog) and Ranger is about 9 months. They are still our giant babies, and they have daily alpha battles and are still growing like weeds. Honey may be slowing down in her growth, but the giant white dog's stilt legs are still growing. He is about 100 pounds now and should get to be about 150 when he is full grown. Since they are so big (Honey is about 70lbs.), they eat a lot of dog food. I realized the other day as I hoisted the 44 pound of dog food into the car without any difficulty that even four months ago I couldn't even move the bag let alone pick it up and toss it around. I guess my muscles are getting stronger through the hard things much like I think our character is getting stronger with every new trial.


It feels like we have been in this beautiful place so much longer than six months. I still can't get over the mountains. I still can't get over the wildlife. I still can't get over the quiet and the stillness. I hope I never do.


Psalm 65:5-6 "You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness, O God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas, who formed the mountains by your power, having armed yourself with strength..."

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your life in the country! Charles is done at the seminary in December and we're praying about what's next. Part of me would love enough land for a couple of cows, some goats, chickens and a garden, a garden with enough harvest to can, dry, freeze, whatever...so glad God is proving Himself so faithful to you all!! Monica

    ReplyDelete