Saturday, September 17, 2011

Changes



The leaves are starting to change, and there is snow visible now on Pike's Peak. The bears are getting ready to hibernate. We think that the rattlesnakes are heading back to their holes. Change is in the air.


In the midst of the change around us, I am also entering a change. I am announcing that I have come out of retirement. Much like Brett Favre, I have felt the need to be back in the pocket. We have found life on the prairie to be quite costly, and I have been looking for a part time job for a couple of months now.


I started this past week at a community clinic in town as an OB nurse. In today's work and economic climate, we are so thankful for a job period, but we are especially thankful for a job that is only part time and is polar opposite of what I have worked for most of the past eight years. I am used to working ALL weekends, nights, and holidays, and this job is NO weekends, nights, or holidays. It will prove to feel very strange I am sure.


So... my seven month retirement stint is over. I think it was beautifully timed for my sanity. I was able to adjust a bit to the start up of rural living and handle the stressors thrown our way without outside work.


Work is not a bad word. It is what we do on this earth. I am hopeful that my work will make a difference in the lives of others. I am hopeful that I can remind myself to be thankful that I am healthy and able to work hard. We are a family in the midst of some more change. We are enjoying the changing seasons together and seeking to see the beauty in each one that comes our way.


Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

No comments:

Post a Comment