Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Toyota and Target Practice




Rattler number seven on the property-- dead. I saw it on the gravel driveway as I came in tonight around 8:00pm. I ran it over and backed up and ran it over again. It was dead but still moving around quite a bit.



I drove on into the driveway and parked the car and proceeded to Harland's office by the stable to tell him and let him finish it off. He wanted me to get the gun and get in a bit more target practice. This time the snake was already hurt and definitely not standing up or rattling. I went in and suited up with my boots and my gun (and ear protection) and a big spotlight. I shot the snake three times and then Harland chopped off the head (and buried it) and the tail and threw the snake out in the field.




We have a new resident in our field. It is a red-tailed hawk. He sits on top of the electrical pole and scours the land. He swoops down and soars over the fields close to the top of the grass. I am thrilled to see him hanging out. He can feast on our mice and snakes. We see many hawks around town flying with snakes in their mouths (or talons-- I am not sure how they carry them) hanging down. I think our cats are too big for him now, thankfully, but our other critters are free game. He makes a loud shrill hawk noise as he flies, and I can assure you that our dogs are not amused. They watch him like a hawk- ha ha. He is a beautiful mix of graceful beauty and fierceness.



We have added to our arsenal since moving here: one might consider the hawk a natural weapon, along with our gun, bow and arrows, slingshot, knives, shovels, and hoes. Two rattlesnakes in two days annihilated by the Toyota Sequoia. I guess it could be considered a deadly weapon. I knew I loved that car.



Job 39:26-29 "Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom and spread his wings toward the south? Does the eagle soar at your command and build his nest on high? He dwells on a cliff and stays there at night; a rocky crag is his stronghold. From there he seeks out his food; his eyes detect it from afar. "

No comments:

Post a Comment