Monday, August 29, 2011

Did you feel the mountains tremble?












It has been another week in the valley-- a busy week filled with a few more firsts and a few things that are becoming the norm. Last week you will remember hearing of the earthquake on the east coast. Before that one, there was also one that was a 5.3 in southern Colorado. It was news for a few hours before the one hit on the coast.



I have never felt an earthquake before. This one woke me up just before midnight. There was a rumbling sound (like a shuttle launch kind of rumbling), and the bed was moving. Isabel then appeared at my door. It woke her up too. And the boys--- my husband and two sons slept right through it and didn't believe us in the morning until we had proof on the morning news. Hmmm.... maybe we females have some sort of inner alertness even from childhood.



I also learned that (speaking of girls) when faced with a rattlesnake crisis, I would choose Isabel as my partner any day of the week over both boys. We had another one in our backyard with the dogs this past week (Thursday I think), and thankfully Harland was home and was the snake killer. My job was to get the dogs out of the yard. Isabel was in the car with her friend waiting for me to take them to meet her friend's mom. I had the help of the boys. They were running around trying to catch the dog I already had out of the backyard and complaining and asking for further directions the whole time as I tried to get the other dog out of the yard before the snake could strike. As Harland shot the snake and disposed of it, they could not keep the dogs still and they could not stop talking to me. When I had the early am snake kill when I was home without Harland, I had Isabel who listened for directions and obeyed without question. She seemed to be attuned to the main goal of the moment. I will try to teach the boys to focus so that next time they will either listen and obey or step aside and let their sister take over. I am sure they would love that.



We had Isabel's birthday this weekend which included a family fishing trip to the lake up on the mountain. It was 60 degrees and there were only about ten other people at the lake. After dinner, we threw on our jackets and fished for about an hour and a half (until dark). Nathanael was the only one who caught a fish, but we all enjoyed it and decided it needs to be a regular, peaceful activity.



Yesterday was another birthday party for some friends of ours. Theirs was a water gun fight at the mountain creek-- very simple and very cool. I am loving the simplicity. We even took our dog, Honey, to the creek party yesterday. She loved being out. She sat at Harland's feet and watched the festivities. She also met a couple of loose dogs that roam about the park. She even got to watch one of them tree a bear. I feel sure she had lots to tell Ranger when she got home. Maybe if he can listen and obey, he can go next time- haha!



Fishing, creeks, and dog companions: a reminder of just how far we have come in these five short months. Colorado has been good for us.




Psalm 97:4-6 "His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles. The mountains melt like wax before the Lord, before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all the peoples see his glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment