Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Strange? Yes, but I have seen it before.



We have had the privilege of experiencing many, many new and odd things as we have lived our first year on the prairie. This past two weeks have brought with them a new found and wonderful familiarity. For the first time I began experiencing things I had seen before. We have come full circle and are back where we began.

There was a sweet smell in the air when I walked to the mailbox. Then I noticed that some small purple flowers (weeds) are cropping up in the yard just like last year. I have a vase of them in my kitchen window right now thanks to my sweet babies. The fruit trees are budding with deep pink blossoms-- and I know the bees will follow in the next few days. I cleaned out the flower beds and there are things that I planted last year coming back! As I stirred up the soil/manure I remembered the flies. Guess what? They appeared out of nowhere in the next hour!

The twenty plus turkeys have reappeared at exit 87 in the field alongside the interstate. The blue birds are back, and so are the yellowish kind of bird that was Ben's favorite last year. It sings a beautiful melody over and over and over again. The magpies have returned to their favorite bush (we call it the magpie bush of course) just down the road from our house. The mule deer are back, and the white tails have become scarce. The cows are having their babies and we see mom and calf pairs in the fields.

Hold on to your hat (literally)----the spring winds are back. They never totally left, but they are certainly stronger and more frequent. We had a warm and balmy strong wind two days ago and today it is cold as ice cutting through my jacket like a knife. I am confident that they will remain "as long as there is snow on the mountain." And speaking of snow, I was not surprised to have nearly a foot of snow expected today after temperatures in the lower 80s two days ago. We had two or three big snows last year in April and May--- weird but familiar.

The cycle of life has made another revolution and with it comes a new familiarity and appreciation. In a life of many, many unknowns, it is a relief to have "known" things to cling to. I don't know why those weird turkeys like exit 87, but I like that I can be confident that I will see them there.

When I have no idea what is coming or how situations will affect me and those I love, I can cling to the familiar and the known. I can cling to the promises of Christ in scripture. I can cling to Christ himself. He is unchanging as we walk through the changing seasons of life. He is a comfort. He is familiar and amazing. He gives me strength to face the flies, bees, and yes... the snakes that crop up among the purple flowers and beautiful songbirds' melodies.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

2 comments:

  1. Aw, the yellow bird is a meadowlark...I miss them! They do indeed sing the prettiest song. Glad spring has come and with it some familiarity and the reminder of God's faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! I am glad to know the name of the birds. It is so true that the Lord is faithful in everything. I hope you and your family are doing well. If you are ever out this way, please let us know. We would love to see you.

      Delete